Special Requirements for Minors

1.  Authorization for Issuance of Brazilian Visa
Applicants under 18 year of age are considered MINORS and DO NOT SIGN their Visa Application Forms. Both parents must fill out and sign the Parental Authorization Form and the minor’s visa application form. Their signatures on the authorization form and the visa application form must be notarized.

Form | Parental Authorization Form

Original or notarized copy of BIRTH CERTIFICATE MUST BE PRESENTED.
If the applicant (minor) was not born in the United States, please note that:

  1. A) Documents not issued within the United States must have their originals either legalized by a Brazilian consular office responsible for the jurisdiction of the country the document was issued or certified by the embassy or consulate of that country in the United States.
  2. B) Documents not issued in English, Portuguese, Spanish or French will require either:

– A sworn translation made by a competent translator in the United States with its signature acknowledged by a US notary public; or
– A translation done by or certified by the Consulate or Embassy of issuing country in the United States; or
– A sworn translation made by a competent translator outside of the United States to one of the four accepted languages above and duly legalized by the Brazilian consular office responsible for the jurisdiction of where the document was issued.
Minors’ visas will not be issued without consent from both parents, except if:
*One of the parents is deceased: in which case the death certificate (original, certified or notarized copy) must be submitted; or
*One of the parent’s is not listed on the birth certificate; or
*Court Order or Divorce Decree granting not only full custody but exclusive parental rights to one of the parents or legal guardian(s). The original or notarized copy of the complete document must be presented along with the other requirements.
2.  Children of Brazilian Citizens
Children of Brazilian citizens can only apply for a visa if they have not yet been issued a Brazilian birth certificate and therefore are not eligible for a Brazilian passport. In that case, the Brazilian parent(s) must attach a notarized letter (Declaration of Non-Citizenship) stating that the child was not registered in any Consulate or in Brazil and, therefore, does not have Brazilian citizenship.

Form | Declaration of Non-Citizenship

Brazilian citizens are advised to register their children at the Consulate (Brazilian birth certificate) to guarantee their Brazilian citizenship so as to safeguard any rights in the future.
Children of Brazilian citizens to whom a visa was issued must have it cancelled after they acquire Brazilian citizenship.